Video Poker Strategy
It has been said that a player with the requisite skills can successfully overcome the odds to beat video poker machines. The rationale behind this is predicated on the fact that players are competing against machines, and not against other players.
Before one delves into the most effective video poker strategies, it’s worth evaluating the video poker games with the most player-friendly odds. The RTP (Return to Player) percentages indicate how much of every £1 wagered on a video poker game is theoretically returned to the player over the long-term.
The higher the RTP, the lower the house edge, and vice versa.
Our point of call when evaluating the most effective video poker strategies is based on selecting the games and strategies providing the lowest house edge.
- Full-Pay Deuces Wild Optimal Strategy Video Poker – 100.76%
- Full Pay Deuces Wild Simple Strategy – 100.71%
- 10/7 Double Bonus Basic Strategy – 100.17%
- 10/6 Double Double Bonus – 100.07%
- 9/6 Jacks or Better Optimal Strategy – 99.54%
- 9/6 Jacks or Better Intermediate Strategy – 99.52%
- 9/6 Jacks or Better Simple Strategy – 99.46%
Video Poker Rules
Since the majority of video poker games are played with a single deck of cards (52 cards), there is a degree of standardization across the board. Players begin by making a bet and clicking the deal button. The RNG (Random Number Generator) is responsible for randomly dealing 5 cards to players. Players get to choose which cards to keep, and which cards to discard. Depending on the rules of the game in question, players are tasked with compiling the strongest-value hand, given the rules of play.
For the most part, the video poker games with the lowest house edge offer a house edge of around 1%, or an RTP of around 99%. Of course, the best way to boost your chances of winning with video poker is to pad your bankroll with additional firepower. You can play video poker casino with 100% up to £100 +200 spins for players in the UK at reputable operators, like Casino.com. By getting a head start with an online casino bonus, video poker players can position themselves for success with the right strategies and playing styles.
Determining RTPs and Playing Requirements for Video Poker Games
The optimal strategy for specific video poker variants depends upon the game in question. It is worth highlighting several games, their rules, and RTPs accordingly:
- Bonus Poker – in these video poker games, higher bonuses are awarded for specific types of hands such as 4 of a kind. 4X Aces typically pay up to 100X the bet, while 4X 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s pay 60 X the bet.
- Deuces Wild Video Poker – all of the 2s in Deuces Wild Video Poker are Wild cards. The payouts for Deuces Wild Video Poker games vary from one game to the next. The house edge is especially low in Deuces Wild Video Poker, particularly Loose Deuces Video Poker which has a 500X payout when you land 4X 2s. Though rare, these games can be found at land-based casinos across Las Vegas, and online too.
- Joker Wild Video Poker – this exciting video poker variant features a 53rd card – the Joker. As its namesake suggests, the Joker is Wild. It substitutes for other cards in the deck to help form winning combinations. RTPs for Joker Wild Video Poker games range from 98% – 100% +. It is important to check the specific game RTP, to ensure the best possible payback percentage.
- Jacks or Better Video Poker – this is the gold standard of video poker games. Players are tasked with compiling a 5-card video poker hand with Jacks or Better. Anything less than Jacks loses. The ultimate hand in Jacks or Better is a Royal Flush.
Video Poker Payouts
The common pay table for Jacks or Better Video Poker games comprises the following hand combinations and payouts:
|Jacks or Better||1|
|Three of a Kind||3|
|Four of a Kind||25|
The above pay table (Jacks or Better 9 /6) typically has a house edge of around 0.46%, when a player uses perfect strategy. For the most part, you can expect a house edge of around 1% in Jacks or Better video poker games.